Banner

LHU History

             If you want to understand today, you have to search yesterday.  ~Pearl Buck





1870
 

 




 Lock Haven University was founded by Albert N. Raub as the Central State Normal School.
 price
  

 1877 

The first classes at the new school were held in May, 1877 and were taught in Price Hall, which was built on the current site   of North Hall. It was a five story building overlooking the Susquehanna River.

 

 









1877










Albert N. Raub, the first Principal of the Central State Normal School (now Lock Haven   University),
1877-1884.

 raub







1878 

 

 

 

First graduating class includes
3 women and 18 men.

                                                        

 class

 






1888 

 

 

 

Price Hall burns, In its place, a new school, which housed offices, classrooms, and residence halls, was built at the current
site of Stevenson Library.

New building (Sullivan Hall) laid.

 sull
Sullivan Hall, 1889

1914 

State of Pennsylvania purchases institution.

 






1914

 

 

 

Charles Lose, Principal of the
Central State Normal School,
1914-1920

lose


1920

Warren Nevin Drum, Principal of the
Central State Normal School, 1920-1925.

 






1922

 

 

Central State Normal School Gymnasium, built in 1896; renamed in 1953 in honor of James H. Rogers, Class of 1949,
World War II veteran and
student athlete, who  died in 1952.

 rogers
Rogers Gym, 1922



1925

Dallas W. Armstrong, Principal of the Central State Normal School, 1925-1927; First   President of Lock Haven State Teachers College, 1927-1937.

 







1926






Due to changes in its mission led to changes in name, to State Teachers College at Lock Haven

 class
Classroom, 1922






1927 





Authority granted to confer baccalaureate degrees in   elementary/secondary education & health/physical education.

 bs
Campus Bookstore, 1938






1942

Richard T. Parsons, an alumnus of the school, was named the school's third college president. Under his leadership, which lasted until 1970, the student population grew from 146 to over 2300
and teaching faculty increased from 25
to 170. It was also under his leadership
that the institution experienced its
largest building program.

 






1942



Lock Haven State Teachers College
began a nursing program called the
Cadet Nurses Training Program in cooperation with Lock Haven Hospital.

 nurse


1949 

Institution accredited by Middle States Association of Colleges and Universities.

 







1960 

 

 

 

 

 Name changed to Lock Haven State College.
                                                             

hc

Homecoming, 1963


1962 

School of Arts and Science started. Liberal arts B.A. degree offered in Humanities, Social Science, and Natural Sciences.

 







1966

 

 

 

 Bentley   Hall, the main campus dining hall
 (food service building) completed in 1966   and named in honor of Deborah M. Bentley, college dietician, 1923-1957.

 bentley

1982 

Craig Dean Willis inaugurated as President

 


1983 

Name changed to Lock Haven University
as a result of the creation of the
State System of Higher Education

 


1987 

Masters of Liberal Arts degree
program implemented.

 









1989 








Clearfield Campus established

 


1990 

Associate degree program in
Nursing offered.

 

1991 

First strategic plan completed.

 






1996 




Master of Education, Master of Health Science/Physician Assistant in
Rural Primary Care approved.

PA







2001



The Student Recreation Center opened

 

Fredericks Family Memorial Carillon,
dedicated in 2001 and donated
by Dr. Carol Fredericks.

 








2002





East Campus complex
(formerly Lock Haven High School),
purchased by LHU in 2002.

 east campus

2005

Dr. Keith T. Miller inaugurated as President

 





2011



Michael   Fiorentino, Jr.
,
the Fourteenth President of the University