Reporting a Crime

Ways to Report a Crime

You can report crimes or other emergencies by calling or speaking in person with a number or authorities:

  • Dial 911:  To report emergencies.
  • Non-emergency criminal violations, dial using a on-campus phone 711 or 2278 or 570-484-2278.
  • Emergency phones:  Use any emergency phones located on exterior buildings throughout campus, in elevators, or kiosks: these provide a direct line to University Public Safety Department. 
  • University Public Safety:  Contact an officer on patrol or go to the Public Safety Building, 32 Glen Road Glennon Infirmary Building.

What happens after a crime or emergency has been reported?

Uniformed officers from the University Public Safety Department responds quickly to in-progress crimes and in a timely manner to non-emergency calls.  Police officers may respond on foot, on bicycle, or in a marked or unmarked police vehicle.  Patrol officers and investigators conduct investigations and prepare reports on crimes and offenses that occur on land, in buildings, or on streets and parking areas that the University owns.

At the request of other local law enforcements agencies, University Public Safety officers may also respond to crimes committed in the jurisdiction of those agencies.

How does the University encourage people to report a crime?

The University Public Safety makes reporting a crime convenient and efficient in several ways:

  • The emergency 911 phone number uses the Clinton County emergency dispatch center to dispatch the correct police agency to the scene.
  • The Public Safety telephone number 570-484-2278 are printed on crime prevention publications.
  • Crime prevention programs presented by the Public Safety Department inform participants how to call the police and encourage them to do so.
  • Persons who wish to provide information about a crime anonymously can complete an anonymous crime reporting form