home schooled students
This page outlines the admissions policy and practices for home schooled students wishing to apply for freshman admission to Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania. As with any applicant, LHU operates on a rolling admission plan and each student is evaluated on an individual basis.
The following are specific requirements for applying for admission to LHU:
- For the online application, the $25 application fee must be paid with a credit card at the time the application is submitted. If a student completes the paper application, the application fee is $40 and must accompany the application.
- Official SAT or ACT scores.
- Two or more letters of recommendation (all must be from outside the home).
- Personal interview with a member of the LHU Admissions Staff.
- A transcript of all secondary level course work from a state/commonwealth recognized home education diploma program or your home school district (samples of completed course work are also recommended). For information on home school accrediting agencies, click on the following links Pennsylvania Department of Education or Pennsylvania Homeschoolers Association.
- Or, a GED (General Equivalency Diploma) and samples of all secondary level course work completed.
- Official transcripts of any college work completed.
LHU evaluates all students on the successful completion of a minimum requirement of specific academic course work, including:
- three years or more of academic, algebra based Math*.
- three years or more of academic Science*, with at least 2 lab courses.
- four years of academic English.
- three years of academic Social Sciences.
- SAT or ACT scores which reflect an aptitude to successfully complete college level work.
* If the student is intending to major in any Math or Science related subjects we require the completion of four years of both subjects on the secondary level.
If you have any questions concerning LHU’s Home School Admissions Policy or would like to discuss your home school situation individually, please contact the Office of Admissions at 570-484-2027 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have questions? Visit our list of Frequently Asked Questions.